Chocolate Stout Crème Brulee
The Perfect Dessert to Celebrate Love (of Stouts)
By Rosie Hatch
To celebrate a day of (stout) love, we put together a rich, decadent dessert. This recipe was made with 4 Hands Brewery’s Milk Chocolate Stout. However, you can use any chocolate stout that you have available to you! Check out the notes section in the recipe for beer recommendations!
- kitchen torch
- 2 large roasting pans
- large bowl
- 6 ramekins
- large measuring cup
- medium-sized pot
- 1 large egg
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar + extra for top
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz milk chocolate (bars broken up into pieces)
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Stout beer
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275°
- Place 6 ramekins in a large roasting pan or two, so they can sit flat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg, egg yolks, and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat cream in a pot over medium heat just until boiling.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate and instant espresso.
- Continue to stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Slowly pour chocolate cream into egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Stir in beer and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a large measuring cup and pour into ramekins until full.
- Pour hot water into roasting pans so that the water comes up about half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. The edges will set and the center will still be a bit jiggly.
- Remove from oven and water bath and let cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes
- Then, place in the fridge for another 25 minutes to completely set.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle sugar on top and using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar on top.
- Serve with fresh mint and chocolate pieces.
- Chocolate Stout by Harpoon Brewing
- Origin: Boston, MA
- ABV: 5.9%
- IBU: 40
- Young's Double Chocolate Stout by Eagle Brewery
- Origin: England, UK
- ABV: 5.2%
- IBU: 25
- Organic Chocolate Stout by Samuel Smith
- Origin: England, UK
- ABV: 5%
- IBU: 28
- Double Chocolate Stout by Rogue Ales
- Origin: Newport, OR
- ABV: 9%
- IBU: 50
- Chocolate Milk Stout by 4 Hands Brewing Company
- Origin: St Louis, MO
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: N/A