Friends and Allies,
The nightmare scenario of Roe v. Wade unraveling has become very real. In response, Beer is for Everyone (BIFE) feels compelled to act. BIFE recognizes that:
This is not a women’s rights issue but a human rights issue and we, as an organization, unequivocally support every individual’s right to bodily autonomy.
- The forced birth movement is rooted in white supremacy.
- Abortion bans disproportionately impact people of color and low-income workers.
- There is no racial justice without reproductive justice.
- There is a need for assistance, both financial and otherwise, to travel out of state for this life-saving healthcare while prioritizing anonymity and safety.
We are asking breweries and beyond to participate in justice via a collaborative beer or freestyle participation effort dedicated to raising funds for the BIFE Emergency Health Fund. This Fund will provide emergency assistance to individuals in the craft beer and greater alcohol industry seeking abortion care in states that are soon to be impacted by “Trigger Law” and others that unjustly restrict the basic human right for a person to choose what happens to their own body.
Inspired by the above meme, we have named this beer “Drinking in Another State” to acknowledge and respect that some participating breweries may be in areas where it is unsafe to openly protest abortion rights. While we are in a position to shout it from the rooftops, we encourage breweries to participate in a way that is appropriate for their location.
With respect to privacy, the Fund will provide partial or full travel assistance (e.g., travel gift cards, transportation vouchers) to a nearby state that has abortion-protected laws in place. In addition, this Fund will arrange for up to two mental health counseling sessions as needed. The Fund will remain open for applications indefinitely until the matter is resolved. At that point, any unused funds will be donated directly to non-profit organizations whose missions are to support and protect abortion rights.
Collaboration Beer Support
This BIFE beer collaboration is an open recipe collaboration. We want as many breweries as possible to participate, so we aren’t requiring anyone to use specific recipes. So, brew something new or slap the can label onto a beer that already exists! We just ask a few things of you to participate:
- Sign up on our website, so we can keep track of the collaboration’s reach.
- If you are brewing a new beer for this collaboration, please invite (with no expectation) all of your womxn-identifying staff to participate in the brewing process.
- Use the beer label provided for the collaboration beer.
- Donate the profits of the collaboration to the Beer is for Everyone: Emergency Health Fund.
- Commit to create and maintain a safe, diverse, and inclusive environment and workplace for all who enjoy craft beer.
Freestyle Open Call for Support
Beer is for Everyone invites breweries, homebrewers, wineries, wholesalers, distributors, distillers, bars, pubs, and everyone who enjoys craft beer and alcohol, in general, to show support for equitable access to life-saving reproductive health care. We understand the polarizing and sensitive nature of the issue, so we want to provide everyone with the opportunity to partake regardless of the political climate of their geographic location. Therefore, if you are unable to visibly show your support by participating in the “Drinking in Another State” collaboration beer, we invite you to freestyle and gather support in whatever way is best for your establishment. A few examples of what this could look like:
- Commit to donating a percentage of your brewery’s sales on a dedicated date.
- Commit to donating a percentage of your brewery’s sales on a recurring basis (ex. First Friday of every Month)
- Do a weekend/night of $1/pour/proceeds donation. You could make it monthly!
- Peer-to-peer fundraising (figure out how to separate from general donation via Meta)
- Print off a QR code and hang it up around your brewery/add to menus
Do you have a fundraiser idea that you don’t see listed? Submit your idea via our freestyle link here.
We want to ensure the safety of all those who partake in this endeavor. So, please evaluate your participation very carefully, as we foresee possible pushback from socio-political groups and individuals who wish to see the abolishment of protection for people’s bodily autonomy. Therefore, we encourage everyone to gauge the most appropriate approach while still engaging in this project.
Sign-up here to participate in this project and to receive details!
Donate directly to the BIFE Emergency Health Fund