Pride Waffles with Stout Butter Syrup
A Celebration of Love in Breakfast Form
By Rosie Hatch
To celebrate Pride month, we decided to cook up some beer-infused dishes! This breakfast recipe calls for a dark beer; we prefer stouts! However, you can use any beer that you have available to you! Check out the notes section in the recipe for beer recommendations!
Servings: 4 people
- large bowl
- two quart-sized Ziploc bags
- small pan
- waffle iron
- 3¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 4 food coloring colors of choice
- spray oil
- 12 oz dark stout or dark beer
- 1¾ cup sugar
- ½ tbsp butter
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the milk, eggs, and melted butter and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Separate the batter into two quart-sized Ziploc bags.
- Add 4-5 drops of food coloring to each bag. Close bag.
- Using your hands, mix together from the outside of the bag until you get a cohesive color. Repeat for the remaining bags/colors.
- Heat up waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray.
- Cut a small corner off each bag and pipe squiggly lines over your waffle iron, repeat with the rest of the color.
- Close the top and cook until batter is firm. You donʻt want to overcook, or it will turn the colors brown.
- Heat beer and sugar over medium heat until foamy.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook 30-40 minutes or until it has a thick consistency.
- Melt the butter in the syrup and serve with the waffles.
Suggestions for Stouts: The stout is a beer with a dark body and creamy notes! According to Harpoon Brewery, this flavor is created from the use of darker, more aromatic malt that has been roasted or kilned until it acquires a chocolate color.
- Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout by Firestone Walker
- Origin: Paso Robles, California
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: 27
- Xocoveza Stout by Stone Brewery
- Origin: Escondido, California
- ABV: 8.1%
- IBU: 50
- Gingerbread Stout by Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
- Origin: Richmond, Virginia
- ABV: 9.2%
- IBU: 55
- Double Chocolate Stout by Rogue Ales
- Origin: Newport, OR
- ABV: 9%
- IBU: 50
- 10 Layers by RAR Brewing
- Origin: Cambridge, Maryland
- ABV: 7.2%
- IBU: N/A
Serving: 4g | Calories: 1031kcal | Carbohydrates: 194g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1402mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 101g | Vitamin A: 647IU | Calcium: 545mg | Iron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!